Saturday, July 19, 2008

One Week Later

This time last week I was in an emergency room, awaiting a cast which was not to come.  Dried sweat was on my skin and I was unsure of what the next few months had in store.

A week later, I am confident in my recovery and I am actually surprised at how good my foot feels.  I have been following the recovery given to me by the first doctor to see me (standard stuff - ice for the first 72 hours, contrast (read: hot/cold) baths after that).


My home rehab centre.  What you can't see is the Tour de France on the TV.

I volunteered at the VFAC Summerfast 10k this morning.  It was great to see the boys again and watch Jay win impressively.  What might have been even more inspiring was seeing Paul get back into racing about two months after being crushed by a car on his bike.  He was in the hospital for a few days after the accident, but has come back around, running a solid time on a slower course.  This has given my some hope that I will be able to rebound quickly.

Speaking of which, after a week of recovery I have to believe that I will be running sooner than later (read: 4 weeks instead of 6 weeks).  My foot is NOT 100%, but it is 1000% better than last week.  I am walking somewhat normally and standing flat-footed again.  I am not going to push it too quickly, but I am optimistic about the timing of my recovery.

I am off to watch The Dark Knight tonight.  I am a bit of a closet comic book geek.  Don't tell anyone.

1 comment:

Michael said...

How is the foot? I know it's early to ask, but now that you had to miss two late season races... what's next?