Saturday, April 07, 2007

Long Short Week

These short weeks are so long. Both my students and I feel it. I think it is because we enter the week thinking "YES! This week is going to go SO fast!"

And for the rest of the week you are looking forward to the end of the week, which extends the week until the week seems like it is never going to end.

Last Saturday's run was great for about 75 minutes of the 90 minutes I was out. The last 15 minutes were a little butt dragging. I didn't think much of it until I went to run on Monday and felt bagged. Usually, I am quite good about respecting recovery from races, but I got a little overzealous last weekend, resulting in an extended recovery period.

Monday was a technical run with the Reynolds' Track and Field team. Some drills, some strength, some plyometrics, some light strides.

Tuesday was a day off, looking to make sure that my body fully recovered from the travel and the race.

Wednesday was playing with the clinic. We had 84(!) people out for the beautiful Wednesday night workout.

Thursday was a fun run with Nik and Adam at Mt. Doug. Adam, after misreading a workout and smashing himself the day before, ran with us for smartly calling it a day. After dropping Adam back at the car, Nik and I found the hardest route up to the summit. It was great to run with those boys again - a reminder that while I had a good race a couple of weeks ago, there is a lot more room to improve.

Friday found me at Beacon Hill Park with the rest of Victoria. On a Friday that was more than Good, I ran in close to 20 degree weather, sharing the beauty of the park with families having picnics, going to the petting zoo, kids climbing trees. I decided to do some mile repeats, chatting with Yoda about the workout before leaving the basement. I hoped to hold 5:10/mile with about 5 minute rest, doing that four times. I looped Beacon Hill as warm up and then set out to complete the workout.


Three miles later, I was happy and, not wanting to push my luck while still feeling good, I called it a day.

This morning was wet, but pleasant to run in. A small Club Mud group embraced "Ten Hills" and set out for an hour before the more important task of going to Lady Marmalade for breakfast, where I had bread pudding french toast.

I am a little concerned about something that may be settling in my chest - a scratchy throat the other day and a cough after waking up from a nap this afternoon. I will bombard my body with healthy stuff (except the fish and chips I am going to eat this evening) and hopefully things will be fine.
Post a Comment