Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Ten Minutes

After finishing my workout from Craig Ballantyne at Turbulence Training at the gym this morning, I wandered over to the treadmill to see how things felt today.

I started conservatively, but slowly turned up the speed, topping out at 8 min/mile this time. My running felt relatively smooth and fluid, surprising for the amount of time that I have not been actually running. I think that the combination of the strength training and the swimming have been quite beneficial, but having said that, it is only 10 minutes on a treadmill. The real test will come when I get back outside and back with VFAC.

Last night Sonja and I rode our bikes at Lower Seymour Conservation Reserve, enjoying the fleeting summer evenings. Tomorrow is a quick trip to the Island to see off some good friends and welcome another back.


4 comments:

bronwyn Brock said...

Brad, don't diminish your 10 minutes! It's one step (no, actually, it's 10 minutes of steps!) closer to your goal of being back running as you want to be. Congratulations!

Unknown said...

Thanks Bronwyn! I am pleased with the ten minutes, but the other edge of the sword is that now that I have "tasted" running again, I want to do more of it sooner. BUT, I am going to be careful and make sure that I don't mess up any healing by coming back too quickly. Thanks for your support!

Joe said...

I went through this in January coming back from bad tendonitis in my Achilles. I ran a mile and wanted to run 10. I took it slow and it ate me up inside. It was worth it however. Keep it up!

Joe
www.fitnessgeekga.wordpress.com

Unknown said...

Thanks Joe! Just got off the phone with my MD and he said to take it slow - seems to be the tough, but good, advice that everyone is giving me. I will be patient, because I am too impatient for it not to be right the first time.