Thursday, August 10, 2006

You can always go home...

My roommate, Trevor Millar, knows my propensity to be loquacious, and thus has requested an “Abstract” of my posts - a kind of “get to the point Brad”. So, to appease him….

Abstract

I arrived home safe and had a good 30 minute run.

Here is the rest of the post…

I woke up this morning to CFAX 1070AM talking about the terrorist threat emanating from the UK. No liquids or gels are allowed in carry on baggage – there goes my hydration and hair styling. Tim Dewailley, sleeping on our couch last night, graciously drove me to the Victoria airport where I moved through the lines with relative ease. In fact, my WestJet flight arrived in Toronto five minutes early due to a tailwind – hopefully the first of a week of tailwinds!

After taking a cab home to Pickering, about an hour from the airport, I went for a run around the old neighbourhood. I ran by my elementary school, taking a moment to peer in the front door and reminisce about how our gym teacher, Mr. D, made everyone in the school run cross-country. I liked running then and did well enough, but upon entering high school I gave it up for grades nine and ten, just because I could. Without Mr. D coming to hound me everyday, I lost the motivation to run. As a Physical Education teacher now, I look back and realize how great it was that Mr. D got everyone out and running – the importance of activity at that age cannot be overstated. I eventually found my motivation again, and I ended up running cross-country in my last three years (yes, we went to grade 13) of high school as cross training for my other sports and to escape class more often. I sent a thought to Mr. D and continued on my way.

I had mentioned in the last post that it is taking a while for me to find my legs. I used to be hounded about “winning the warm up”, but now I am definitely taking it slow out of the gates. I started to find my legs around 20 minutes into my run, just as I was cruising down Finch Ave, passing a couple of teenage boys “doubling” on their bike. Man, I haven't seen doubling in years. That used to be such a great way to get around. Anyway, they called across the road to me, acknowledging that I was going faster than them. I am not so sure that it was me going fast, but rather that they were VERY unsteady on the bike and going very slowly, but either way, they seemed impressed that I was running. This may be a cultural difference between the suburbs of Toronto and the hyper-active community of Victoria, but it is not a good thing when teenagers find runners an interesting sight. Runners should not be a oddity.

The rest of the run felt good, had a big pasta dinner prepared by my mother, and took care of some errands. Tomorrow I am heading to a cottage near Peterborough where I am looking forward to spending time with old friends from Edwards Hall (my residence at McMaster University). I am actually excited to go for a little run with a number of the boys on Saturday morning. This is exciting because two years ago, I was running with one person, last year with three, and this year with five. The boys are getting in shape! That is why I love coaching; the enthusiasm of people rediscovering their inner athlete is inspiring to me. This exists in friends, the clinics I work with, and the individuals I coach. It is amazing to me!

Well, that is all for now. Thanks for reading and I hope your run is great!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, you're brave! I'll be thinking of you and sending you good running vibes and stuff like that. Good luck and whatever other things one says to a runner dude. Enjoy!

that Marion chick

Anonymous said...

brad,
good luck buddy, hope everything goes well for you. Keep up with those abstract posts, reading is hard work.

Shawn N

Anonymous said...

only brad cunningham would use the words "propensity", "loquacious" and "thus" in the first line of a blog entry (especially one starting with the subject of brevity! :-).

have fun tonight!

~that sonja chick.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Mr. Cunningham! It's Alison. (You know, the only Alison who really matters). Liam forwarded me the link to your blog, so here I am, showing my support for the only curly-haired English teacher to make class interesting. I am sending you positive vibes, right at this moment...Have they reached you?
Well, keep up the good work, and be sure to read Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer; it is amazing!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey! MR. C its Rayner! Liam sent me your e-mail, im totally sending you good vibes! have fun!

Anonymous said...

Brad, it's Dustin. I like Rayner received the good word from Liam. The 160 KM over 7 stages isn't too bad,(cough) remember your marathon and making your way through step by step, foot by foot. Best wishes Bradley and keep the world anticipating your progress.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the comments everyone. I will relying heavily upon the "vibes" and well wishes from everyone. The chips and ice cream are sitting heavy right now, so I am going to raid my sister's fridge for some fruit.