Sunday, February 10, 2008

Worst PB Ever

I have now had some time to think and talk about the race and I am more comfortable with it than I was immediately afterward.  Chatting with Simon Driver, Paul Krochak, Eric Langjhlem, and Adam Campbell has quickly put the run into perspective.

I went out hard.  Too hard.  But it felt so good.  I was sitting on Paul's shoulder, holding 5:30/mile.  We were a few meters back of Jay and another strong runner, Ian Druce.  I was pretty impressed that I was there as usually these guys are a pack ahead of me.  That should have been my first clue.

Rookie mistake.  The course was marked in miles, not kms.  I am not used to mile splits (although I better get used to them for Boston).  If I had seen that I was running 3:25/km, maybe I would have eased off a little.  But then again, maybe not.

We went through the first 4 miles and we were holding pace, although it felt to me as though we were picking it up.  That should have been my second clue.  I fell off pace a couple of times, but I worked myself back onto Paul's shoulder, not wanting to lose the group.  We were on the seawall and I knew it would be better to be in a group in case there was wind.  But I finally saw a gap open up just before 6 miles.  By the halfway point, they had 15 seconds on me.  36:21 was my split, which would be a 1:12:42 finishing time - a PB by 3 minutes.  That was my last clue.  

It was a bit of suffering from that point on.  I tried desperately to hold onto 6:oo/miles, sometimes more successfully than others.  I got passed by about 4 people.  I felt plodding and tried to focus on smiling and keeping my turnover up.  

I came through the finish in a disappointing PB of 1:15:38 for 19th place (10 seconds faster than the Royal Victoria Half-Marathon in 2006 - 1:15:48).  I did not race smartly.  I did not race within myself, going out with guys who I can run with in workouts, but who race faster than me.  Paul and Jay had great races, which is awesome.  I feel as though if I had been smarter I could have run 1:14:30, but I ran 1:15:38 so that is the new standard.

This is all training for Boston.  I also have to keep in mind that I have set two PBs in my last two races and in neither of them did I feel great.  That is the good sign.  I found my humility in this race and will focus on myself, not those around me, from here on out.  At the 8k, at the marathon last fall, and here today I have been looking for HUGE PBs, thus small ones seem to be less special to me.  But no longer - I am now focussing on a strong race and I will let the PBs fall where they may.

Thanks to the boys for talking me through this one.  

    
Post a Comment