Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Perspective

I didn't lose my key this week.  Couple that with the good workout yesterday and it seems that this week is WAY better than last week.  

The snowshoe tonight was quite beautiful.  I was up on the mountain a little earlier than usual and was able to watch the sun descend behind Vancouver Island, creating a mystical mountain panorama.  The snow alternated between very hard packed and soft, shallow powder.  If the snow is as hard as it was tonight come Saturday, it is going to be a fast race indeed.

However, perspective came to me this morning at around 6:30am when my mother's phone call awoke me from my slumber.  My sister, Julie, gave birth to her and Rob's first child (and my first nephew) - Michael James.  He weighed in at 8lbs 6oz -  mom and son (and dad) are doing very well at this time.  I have seen many of my friends have their first children recently (and one already has two - Hi Meat!), but it is definitely a different perspective when it is someone in your family.  Yeah, weird - I am an uncle.  Very cool, but weird.  It will take a little getting used to, but I think that the world will seem in its place when I first hold my nephew (yeah, still weird to say that) in a couple weeks.  Anyway, I am very proud of my sister for being so amazing throughout the whole pregnancy and birth - she is definitely the stronger of the siblings.  She and Rob are going to be amazing parents (and I will be the "cool" uncle - although Rob also has two brothers, so lots of "cool" uncles for Michael).



No comments: