Tuesday, March 04, 2008

What a difference a week makes



Last week I struggled through the 18k tempo, tired and drained, both physically (from running) and emotionally (from teaching).  My first loop that night was mediocre, my second was ok, but my third was completed with wheels falling off the car (even the spare was about to go).

Tonight, buoyed by 11 degree weather and a blue sky, I ran the same 6k loop (3k downhill, turn around and 3k back up), but felt strong.  I am not sure if it was the 600s from last week, which John and Paul (but not Ringo and George) said would make a big difference in our running.  I am not sure if it was the 8 hours of sleep I got last night (where I dreamt that I was playing football for against the BC Lions and then bought books authored by Gayle Cazalet at halftime).  I am not sure if it was the new brook gear I was wearing.  Whatever it was though, it worked.  Maybe it was the rice krispie square at lunch?  Regardless, tonight I felt strong during a tempo run for the first time in a long time.  I negative split the workout, with my last loop being my fastest uphill one and within 3 seconds of my fastest downhill.  I felt my stride relaxing and my turnover was happening easily.  It was by no means a breakthrough workout, but rather a solid boost in confidence heading into two races this weekend (National Snowshoe Championships on Saturday and the Harry's Spring Run Off 8k on Sunday).  Overall, a very good 19k tempo.  Put it in the bank.


No comments: