Friday, April 18, 2008

Boston or Bust

 Last night was fun with the VFAC crew at the Stanley Park version of Beaver Lake, a 1k version of a trail around a lake.  As most of the club is racing the Sun Run this weekend in Vancouver (with close to 58 000 other people), it was a fun taper workout.

For me it was 1k, 2k, 2k.  The first 1k was done comfortably, and I finished in 3:33.  I was a little surprised at how quick it was relative to how I felt.  But that was nothing as compared to the next interval.

The first loop of the 2k interval was spent behind Jay and Simon.  I knew I was working well and fast, but when we went through the loop in 2:57 I was a little shocked.  I exclaimed "Holy Jesus!" and Simon was concerned about that the coyotes had migrated from the endowment lands.  I eased off and completed the second loop of that 2k in 3:10, for a 6:17 2k.  The next interval was more controlled and a little faster; 3:06/3:08 for 6:14.  Both intervals felt good and smooth.  I was pleased to get out and run fast prior to Boston.  As Coach John said, it is about maintaining intensity, but with less volume.  And that is what happened.  Mentally, it was nice to run that fast and not feel as though it was killing me.  When I head out in 4:00/km on Monday it will feel ridiculously slow, which is the goal.

And as for goals, here they are.  In emailing with Bob (of ENDURrun fame - see ENDURrun 2006 race report),  it seems that we are very much on the same page for Boston, so we are going to start out together.  We would both like to break 2:40, but want to be conservative in how we do it.  I am going to try to sneak into the first corral (if possible).  If that doesn't work, then Bob is going to start near the back of the first corral and I will be at the front of the second corral.  We want to start out conservative (between 6:10-6:20/mile  - Boston is all miles, so I need to be accustomed to mile splits).  We want to work our way down to goal pace (6:06/mile) and be strong enough to go faster than that as we near the last third of the race (6:00/mile).  This is all well and good to say this now, we will see how race day goes.  My "gold" goal is sub 2:40.  My "silver" goal is 2:45.  My "bronze"goal is a PB (that means under 2:55).  But, more than anything, I am going to enjoy the experience.  If everything goes wrong and it looks like I am walking, don't worry about me - I will be laughing and whooping it up with the spectators.  

You can check the race out at www.baa.org  My bib number is 2644, so you can enter that in the athlete tracker and get my splits every 5k.  If I am about 19:00 for 5k, then you know I am going well.  There are hills, so some may be faster than others, but around 19:00 will be good.

I won't have my 'puter with me, so I will blog about the experience when I get back on Tuesday.  Until then, have fun!  And good luck to all my Island peeps and the VFAC crew, racing the Sun Run (that means you Seamus and Hicham).


7 comments:

Unknown said...

Bradly, we miss you over on the rock! Just wanted to let you know that Cindy and myself are hoping that you have the race that we know you have in you.
Have fun in Boston.
David O'Coffey and Cindy Girl

Anonymous said...

have a good race my friend and ran fast.
cheers
Hicham

Anonymous said...

run fast!!!
hicham

Michael said...

Good luck buddy, all the best.

P.s. When you reach that point and it starts to hurt and you ask yourself should you slow down... don't, it'll pass and you'll have the race of your life!

P.p.s. Like Hicham said, run fast!

Anonymous said...

Hey Brad, good luck tomorrow. Hope all goes well!!!

Anonymous said...

Hello I just saw your results and it is too bad because your faster than the time you got.I warned you about Boston and those downhills it kills the quads.I ran a very similiar race in 2005 and was so beat up from the down hills.You are capable of a 2:45 or better but on a different course.Good luck and too bad as I know it must be dissapointing with all the training that you have done.

Michael said...

A tough day at the office:(

Give us a shout when you get back as I'd love to hear about it. You must know that you're much faster than your result. Don't lose faith! Take care buddy.

Talk soon.