Saturday, February 10, 2007

The Dump

It is the home of world-class, world famous mountain bikers. Roland Green. Geoff Kabush. Seamus McGrath. Ryder Hesjedal. These are just some of the famous mountain bikers that have graced the trails of what is affectionately known as "The Dump".

There is talk of great flow in mountain biking. The way the corners blend into each other, the up and down of a roller coaster, drops and climbs. Imagine the fun of mountain biking, but on two feet. That was us today.

On a day that once again proved to me that Victoria based weather people have no idea what they are doing, Club Mud enjoyed the sun early this morning. For many of them it was the first time on these beautiful trails, and for me it was a pleasure to show them off, as if they were mine. Sometimes I feel as though they are.

Two hours later I was duly impressed with my group and basking in the glow of a sublime run on a glorious morning with inspiring people. Not a bad start to the weekend.

Tomorrow is the Cedar 12k. Trevor decided to come and race at dinner. A free entry has a powerfully persuasive effect. My race plan, after some consultation with Yoda, is to descend 1-4 by 3k. 3:45s, 3:40s, 3:35s, 3:30s. Should be interesting, especially as the last few kilometers, from all accounts, are uphill. I think the plan may be optimistic as I am running on slightly fatigued legs, but I just look to Jim to gain perspective whenever I begin to look for excuses. That is real running. Doing a workout after a race. Sheesh. He is the man.

Duration: 2:10
Ascent: 535m

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, like, is Laugavegur Ultra Marathon on the schedule for this year?

45deg 55'50.27"N 66deg 37'37.09"W

Unknown said...

The Laugavegur is written in pencil on the schedule. Some things have to fall into place for it to happen, but I would put it at about 75/25 that it will happen. Otherwise I will either look at the ENDURrun again or another long trail race. I will know more come end of March. Depends on S's plans come September.

I hear it is cold in that part of the country right now...