Friday, January 04, 2008

I was guilted into my run today

From the article "Cold Runner" in the Globe and Mail.

“Those first couple minutes where you're thinking you aren't going to be warm enough are the worst,” says Ms. Krysko, who has won both the Yellowknife and Hay River, NWT, half-marathons. “But if you actually go through with it, it does make you psychologically tougher.”

Yellowknife's average January temperature hovers between lows around -30 C and highs around -20. Hypothermia can set in instantly. Exposed skin can freeze in a matter of minutes. And yet Yellowknife has become a city of runners.


After I finished reading the article, I realized that -7 isn't really that cold. Relatively. And today was a balmy -2, so I made it out the door for an hour. An easy run, but good.

No comments: