Sunday, January 13, 2008

No Rain

Shannon Hoon, why did you leave so soon?

Today was great Vancouver day.  Seriously.  It was cool, but not cold, damp but not wet.  I made my way to the end of the Knee Knacker and Iron Knee races, a park in the heart of Deep Cove.  From there, I started uphill.  After yesterday's reminder about the state of my hill climbing, I set out to go up as much as I could for 90 minutes.  

The first hill was 40 minutes.  It felt pretty good and since I wanted to explore more trails, I started down some of the world famous North Shore mountain bike trails, learning quickly why they are world famous.  Running downhill, I came up behind some mountain bikers who were sprawled out on the trail before me.  It was at that point that I turned around and went uphill again.

I found another hill and kept climbing (Old Buck Trail for those in the know), I crossed some snow patches and just keep going up, having not felt this good for a long time.  I am not sure what was special about today, but I imagine it is the combination of Trevor's strength program, snowshoe running, and getting back into VFAC workouts.  At 90 minutes, I decided that I had better get going home, so I bombed back downhill for the next 25 minutes.  As adamo had said to me last week, Victoria may have the weather, but Vancouver has long, luscious hills (I know!  He said luscious!)

I followed this up with a Millar Performance workout at the gym.  Damn, that was fun.  A good day all around, capped off with some blue sky this afternoon.  

Duration - 2 hours with 930m of ascent.


PS.  I may have just lied about adamo saying luscious.

1 comment:

Adamo said...

That's right, I did not say luscious, I said glorious-a much more masculine term.
PS-I am back on bloggin train