Friday, January 25, 2008

Pain and a Movie

Usually leaving the office of my chiropractor, Dr. Pelly, I feel better, lighter, more, shall we say, aligned.  However, today was not to be one of those days.

After not having seen Dr. Pelly for about 10 days, I was looking forward to being adjusted (he doesn't like it when I say cracked), especially because of the race this weekend.  I feel as though I race better after having a chiropractic visit.  This visit started well and he did his thing.  Then, much to my later chagrin, I mentioned my snowboarding accidents (the ribs and the wonky knee).  He took out his tuning fork and tested my ribs for any hairline fractures, of which there was nothing - that was good.  Next he took a look at my knee and found that I had a somewhat uncommon misalignment which may have contributed to my pain the other day.  After trying to adjust it, he did some ART on the back of my knee, specifically on the medial head of my gastrocnemius (for those in the know).  He had Sonja hold my leg in traction and then proceeded to make me whine like my students before they write an exam (trust me, they whine A LOT).  I limped out of the office knowing that tomorrow I will feel better than I do right now.

With that said, today was a day off.  I have to remember that we only improve when we give our bodies a chance to adapt, so while running everyday is fun, I need to absorb the workouts of this week.  I used this chance to take Sonja to see the movie The Golden Compass, a book we have both read and enjoyed.  I would NOT recommend the movie if you have not read the book.  The book is detailed and complex and beautifully interwoven, while the movie is glossy and, as you would imagine, skips and rearranges many parts for those who have not read the book.  It was visually beautiful at parts, and well cast, but I am not sure that the second book will get made as a result of the mediocre performance at  the box office.  That and the fact that Kidman (who is a major character) is pregnant.  As well, the books span a time frame of months while the movies will be made over years, thus making the continuity of young Lyra, who ages only four months in the books,  difficult to portray.






No comments: