Thursday, January 24, 2008

Round and round we go

My knee feels good, but my calves are now sore from running in circles this evening.  It was the first Thursday night VFAC workout at Point Grey Secondary School track, and the group was easily 35 strong.  

I ran track until grade 11.  I also ran in the same track club (and for the same hurdles coach) that produced Perdita Felicien (makes you wonder why he couldn't make me a world champion...).  I miss some aspects of track, and it was these aspects that emerged this evening.

For most people, track is a necessary evil in order to get fast.  The monotonous circling of a 400m track in pursuit of speed can drive one insane.  However, when there is a group of like minded people of similar ability, the track is transformed from a treadmill into, uh, er, something more fun than a treadmill.  

With all the boys back into the workouts, tonight was not a treadmill.  The workout was 10 x 400m with 200m recovery (about 1:40-2:00) and I was to descend from 71 seconds to 67 seconds by the end.  Simon, Paul, Jay, Jorge, Dave, Ben, and the "puppy" Capel (not as much because he is a young "pup", but rather because he chases the lead person like crazy) pulled me through the ten 400s with a number of different people leading the repeats.  We all descended throughout the workout, moving from 70ish to 65ish by the end.  The whole crew was finishing within 4 seconds of each other every time and no one was racing.  Racing can be very detrimental to a workout and to the psyche of a training group as people start to lose focus on their individual workout and needs, and instead focus on what the people around them are doing.  Rivalries are bred through racing in workouts and, in my opinion, no one is better for it come race day.  But tonight was supportive and fun.  Having eight of us circling the track together as one big herd made what could have been a monotonous 4km into a very fun and inspiring 10 loops of the blue track. 

Tomorrow is some strength and then snowshoe on Saturday before my first race of the season on Sunday - an 8k in Delta.  It should be interesting as they are calling for snow this weekend, so I may have to wait for another day to really see where I am at right now.

Workout - 10 x 400 with 1:40-2:00 minutes rest
71
69
69
69
69
68
68
68
69
65

No comments: